Wednesday, August 15, 2007

It's a...boy!!!

For unto us a manchild was born in the city of Chiang Mai...

At 2:15 am, Melanie woke me up and told me that her water had broken. Twelve hours of intense labor (entire time having contractions 3-4 minutes apart) the doctor told us that Melanie had made no progress between 9 am and 3 pm Thailand time. Melanie was still 60% effaced and only 4 cm dilated. The choice was made to deliver via cesarean section.

Josiah (Yahweh supports) Evan (Yahweh is gracious) Goccia was born at 3:21pm on Wednesday 15 August 2007. He weighed 2930 gm (6.46 lbs) and was 50 cm (19.69 in) long.

I was able to be in the operating theater while the c-section was performed. Melanie was allowed to see Josiah but not hold him since she was somwhat sedated. I was able to hold Josiah within minutes of his entrance into the world. Since Melanie was sent to recovery and could not immediately hold the baby, I was given the opportunity to do skin to skin bonding. This is when in the absence of the mother, the father takes off his shirt and holds the baby on his chest. This provides an opportunity for the baby to bond with one parent during the first hours of life. It was an awesome priveledge to hold this amazing creation. I did feel somewhat guilty though since Melanie did all of the work and I had the chance to bond with the baby for over two hours before she was even able to hold him.

Melanie with our friend Jessica in between contractions. Jessica assisted me as a birthing coach and was a tremendous blessing.

Josiah and me about ten minutes after he arrived.


Josiah in his crib after he came from being cleaned, measured and weighed.


Mom and Josiah


The newly expanded Goccia family. Welcome Josiah Evan Goccia!

8 comments :

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! And many blessings on all three of you! :)

Carroll said...

congrats Mel and Aaron! What a beautiful boy!

Anonymous said...

COOL, very cool. Welcome to the world Josiah!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you! He is beautiful! I hope Melanie & Josiah are doing great! I can't wait to see him face to face! One day! I love you all! Jennifer O

Anonymous said...

Awhh...how lovely! Congratulations! We are SO VERY happy for you both! Josiah is a handsome boy. Keep the photos coming!

Anonymous said...

hard to believe that the snotty nosed kid i took to see the little mermaid(oh my poopsies!!!)is now a mother. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! are you calling him josiah or evan?

About Us said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!!! I hope Mom, Dad, and little Josiah are all well!

Blessings,

Janna

Aarmel said...

Thanks to everyone for their comments. We think he's beautiful, but that could just be because he's ours! : ) Oh, and we're calling him Josiah. Love you all!