Sunday, August 12, 2007

Elephant Camp

Yesterday, I (Aaron) and my friend Mike went to an elephant camp outside of Chiang Mai, Thailand. We had the opportunity to ride an elephant through the jungle, watch an elephant show (where the elephants painted pictures, demonstrated logging techniques, gave a human a massage with its trunk as well as its foot, played soccer and did a few other interesting tricks), go to the elephant nursery, watch the mahouts (elephant driver) wash the elephants and just marvel at these huge and graceful creatures.

Mike and I on our 34 year old bull elephant named Poo Kau.


This is one of the elephants that painted a picture during the show. The paintings were sold after the show. This painting sold for about $60 US.


I sat near this elephant for over a half hour and just watched it. I took this when it was talking to me.


This is one of the elephants getting washed. The elephants really seemed to enjoy this time; they would lay down on their sides while their mahout would scrub them with a brush.


I really like this picture because it shows the length of the trunk as well as the inside. This was a mom whose baby was just a few months old.

No comments :