Saturday, March 3, 2007
Elephant Festival
Every March, just before Holi (a Hindu festival we'll talk more about tomorrow), our city holds an Elephant Festival. Presently there are over 100 elephants that live and work in our city and 95 of them were at the festival. It all started off with an elephant parade. The elephants were decorated from tusk to tail and some were very ornate. All 95 of them paraded around the arena...it was quite a sight! After the parade, around 20 humans played tug of war with one elephant - and lost very quickly! Next was the elephant polo match. There were 6 elephants with 2 riders each playing polo. It was a slow moving but very interesting game. We are so glad that we went and I think we'll try to attend every year. We took over 90 pictures, but unfortunately we can't fit them all on here.
This is one of my favorite pictures. I can't imagine how much time it took to paint the elephant like this...and who knows how they get the mirrors to stick!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(
Atom
)

5 comments :
Okay...so want to go that festival, and my Mom would lose it.
What do they paint the elepahnts with? I wonder if they enjoy getting all painted up. Ask a handler sometime for me.
Hey Cory! I'm really not sure what they use to paint the elephants. I think the elephants are used to it though, because they're almost always painted in some way...just not as detailed as some of these. I've got other pictures to go through and send you for your mom.
Mel,
Thanks for the great pictures! Ivan LOVED looking at the elephants with me.
Also adored the "belly shot" from Friday! You truly look radiant.
Hello Cory! Hope you are well.
I was impressed with all the detail on the elephants. I especially liked the one painted green. Do they start painting them as babies?
Thanks Charlotte! Don't really feel radiant, but it's nice to hear! : ) ha!
Post a Comment