Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Giving Birth

The last month has been a whirlwind at our house! Many of you already know this but I'm going to put it on here anyway - just bear with me.

When I had Josiah I ended up requiring a c-section. This was in NO WAY what I had planned for the birth of our child. I was unhappy with the c-section but so grateful for a healthy baby. Only a few days after Josiah was born, I asked my doctor if he would do a VBAC (Vaginal birth after cesarean)with the next baby. He said he was willing to try it and that put an end to my fears. When we found out that we were pregnant again, there was never even a doubt in my mind that we would try to have this baby VBAC. However, last month when I went in for my normal check up the doctor told me that the hospital had changed it's policy and was not going to allow me to attempt VBAC. You have to understand that there is a less that one percent chance of uterine rupture and they are afraid of the liability. Aaron and I were shocked, we had not expected this. We tried to appeal the hosptial's decision but they refused to change their policy.
The other hospital in this city is not equipped to perform VBAC as the operating rooms are not on the same floor as labor and delivery and there is not an anesthesiologist on call 24 hours. So, if something were to happen with my uterus they would not be able to act quickly enough.
So now the plan is to give birth in Bangkok. We absolutely do not want to go but at the same time, I at least want a chance to try to give birth naturally. I found a doctor in Bangkok who has a 70% success rate with VBAC and he seems to think that I can have this baby the way I want.
It's going to be a pain since we'll have to leave a few weeks before the due date and wait around for the baby to be born, but if I can have the birth I want then it will be worth it!

On a totally different note, we're going on vacation tomorrow! We haven't had a vacation in four years so you can imagine how excited we are about it. We are going to the beach in Hua Hin (still in Thailand). We have to pass through Bangkok on the way so we have an appointment with the doctor there on the 19th.

To tide you over until I get back from vacation, here are a few pictures of my big boy.






And a funny story about Josiah:
Last week I was playing in the floor with Josiah and said "Are you Mommy's boy?" He said "yep!". So a few minutes later I asked him again and he said "No". I acted like I was going to cry and said "What?!? Aren't you Mommy's boy?". Josiah smiled mischeviously at me, cocked his head to the side and said "tease Mommy". I laughed so hard that my stomach hurt! I love how his sense of humor is coming out more and more!

4 comments :

Emily said...

That story is SO cute!! He has a good vocabulary, it seems like. Is putting two words together pretty advanced for his age? Hazel just said her first 'compound word' the other day - "apple juice." You would have thought by our reactions that she had won a Nobel prize.

That's too bad the hospital changed their policy on you. You know you can come to be about v-births overseas if you have any q's on what to expect...although Thailand and India are probably somewhat different. Anyway - have fun on vacation!!

Krista said...

Wow. I haven't had much blogging time lately and so didn't expect this entry! After having one natural birth and one c/s all I can say is I would totally do the same thing you are. It is SO worth it even for the chance to do it naturally. And recovery time?! Well, you'll make up for the time you spent in Bangkok before hand by how easily you bounce back after a natural birth. I'm totally going to be praying for you - I'm so happy that you all are able to go to Bangkok for this chance. Love you!!

Anonymous said...

You know I am praying for the VBAC and for you to be able to do it without drugs :) That is the funniest thing I have ever heard such a young boy do! I can't believe how smart he is. What a great little personality and how cool to watch it blossom!

Bobbie said...

Josiah is so adorable, and it sounds like he is completely hilarious! We will be praying for you and your delivery!