Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Jama Masjid

Last week I (Aaron) went to see Masjid-i-Jahan Numa in Old Delhi. This is the largest mosque in India and one of the largest in the world. I took a couple of pictures from outside as well as the bazaar in front of the mosque. The admission is free but I could not bring myself to pay the 200 Rupee (US $5) camera fee so I do not have any pictures of the inside of the Mosque. One of these days I may find the strength to pry the rupees from my tight fist, just not that day.

Masjid-i-Jahan Numa means "the mosque commanding a view of the world" it is commonly called Jama Masjid of Delhi. It was completed by Shah Jahan (the builder of the Taj Mahal) in 1656. The courtyard within the walls is so large that it can hold 25,000 people. For more information and pictures on Jama Masjid you can go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jama_Masjid,_Delhi.



View of the entrance with the mosque behind. Just below the entrance are the high and wide steps from the bazaar that lead up to the mosque.



Gate at the top of the steps, by going through this gate you enter the large courtyard which lies in front of the mosque.



This picture is taken from the gate at the top of the steps with my back toward the mosque. As far as can be seen in this picure is a bazaar with people selling everything from water to toys.

No comments :