Tuesday, May 8, 2007

A Doctor Visit

I was telling Aaron last night that we've obviously been here too long. So many things don't even phase me anymore and I consider them normal...for example: going to the doctor. I was talking to my brother last night and telling him that I had to get off the phone because it was time for me to go to the doctor for a prenatal checkup. Greg wanted to know what time it was here, so I told him it was 5:45 PM. He then wanted to know why I was going so late in the evening. Well, that's because I was going to the doctor's home clinic instead of the hospital and her home clinic doesn't open until 7:00...of course, I had to be there by 6:00 to grab a token (piece of paper with a number on it) so I wouldn't have to wait forever to see her. (And by "home clinic" I mean it's literally at her house. The bottom part has been turned into an office.) As my brother started laughing, it suddenly hit me that "yeah, this isn't normal." I began to tell Greg that she has a little doohickey where she can listen to the baby's heart and she also has a man that comes in to do ultrasounds. The more I thought about it, the weirder it suddenly became to me.
So we were at the doctor's house by 6:00 to get a token (we got #3) but we knew that although the clinic "opens" at 7 the doctor wouldn't show up until at least 7:30. So we decided to go get dinner and just kill some time before 7:30. We arrived back at the doctor's house at 7:30 and proceeded to wait and wait and wait...there was an emergency at the hospital so she didn't show up until almost 8:30 - but that is just the "norm" here. We had an ultrasound and everything is fine with the baby. We were able to see the heartbeat, the spine, the little legs and the foot kicking me. By the time we finally left, it was 9:30 and time for a shower and bed. I guess you could say that life just takes a lot more time here!

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Nice way to learn patience!

I'm glad to hear everything is well with the baby :)

Aarmel said...

I think there's a lot of things about living here that teach us patience! It's a much slower paced way of life. It's funny because I thought that I would enjoy it a little more since I am more of a laid back person, but that American comes out of me quite a bit!